Fresh Expressions encourages new expressions of church for a fast changing world. These new Christian communities come into being through principles of listening, serving, incarnational mission, and making disciples. They have the potential to become a mature expression of church shaped by both the Gospel and the culture it is trying to reach.
Every fresh expression of church is different. Some are in rural areas, while others are in the suburbs. Some are in housing projects, while others are on college campuses. Some are primarily for youth, children, or young adults just starting their careers. Others are based in schools or in homes. Each is a new adventure for the Gospel.
While all fresh expressions are different, there are some guiding principles that tie them all together.
Fresh Expressions are:
- Missional – Reaching and serving people who are spiritually lost.
- Incarnational – Listening to people in their heart language and entering their culture through their worldview.
- Discipling – helping people enter more fully into the life of Christ as they live out their daily lives.
- Ecclesial – forming new churches in order to advance the Redeemer’s Kingdom.
The Range/Spectrum of Fresh Expressions
Components of Fresh Expressions
Vision days are a great way for people to discover more about fresh expressions of church. In a fun and interactive way, vision days provide opportunities to:
- Ask questions and share stories.
- Think about what it is to be “church.”
- Find out more about fresh expressions and discover related resources.
- Build networks and relationships.
Vision days are fresh experiences and are ideal for those:
- Interested in renewal within established congregations.
- Interested in building relationships and serving the communities in which they live or work.
- Who have real questions about fresh expressions and mission shaped church.
- Who have started something new missionally and need some practical help.
Each vision day is led by a Fresh Expressions team and is carefully planned in partnership with a group of local churches to ensure that it is locally relevant.
Mission Shaped Intro
New world, new church! Our world and our lives have changed radically in the last twenty years, but has the church adapted to this change? Do we need a changed church for a changing world? Are new forms of church really possible? If so, how can they be developed?
Mission shaped intro explores the ‘why’ of creating fresh expressions of church rather than the ‘how’. The six-week course takes participants on a journey looking at the ever-changing nature of our social communities and explores why the church needs to rethink its approach to those communities in meaningful and relevant ways.
The 90-minute sessions are delivered through presentations, movie clips and stories with active group participation. Mission shaped intro is ideal for those who are starting from scratch as well as those who have attended a vision day or those who are maybe thinking about joining the mission shaped ministry course. Six weeks – to rediscover mission and re-imagine church.
Mission Shaped Ministry
A year-long course related to the planting and sustaining of fresh expressions of church. The course takes participants on a learning journey as part of a supportive community, training them for ministry in fresh expressions of church.
Those who come to mission shaped ministry tend to do so:
- As individuals and as teams.
- As leaders and members, clergy and lay people, learning side by side.
- As they prepare to start a fresh expression of church.
- Once they have already started a fresh expression of church.
- Because they want their existing church to be more mission-shaped.
For more information,
visit the Fresh Expressions website.
If you are interested in joining this initiative, please
contact Ben Jamison directly.