How to Become a Cooperating Church of
The Baptist General Association of Virginia (BGAV) is a cooperative missions and ministry organization that consists of over 1,400 autonomous churches in the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as churches from the states of West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Maryland, Tennessee and Minnesota. Geography does not limit churches from joining the mission and vision of the BGAV. The ministries of the BGAV are coordinated through the Virginia Baptist Mission Board staff who work through five ministry teams who work alongside churches to help them be more effective in their ministries.
Becoming a Cooperating Church of the BGAV
Becoming a cooperating church of the BGAV is simple and easy:
- Your church votes to become a cooperating church of the BGAV.
- Your church writes a letter to the BGAV Executive Director indicating that it has voted to become a cooperating church of the BGAV.
- Your church contributes financially to the BGAV’s Cooperative Missions Budget. Based upon your church’s ministry and missions preferences, it will determine how to distribute its gifts according to the BGAV’s giving plans of World Missions Causes 1, World Missions Causes 2 and World Missions Causes 3. Or your church can develop its own customized giving plan by sending a letter to the BGAV Treasurer stating your desired allocations.
On the BGAV Remittance Form, your church indicates how to distribute its gifts according to the BGAV’s giving plans (WM1, WM2, WM3). Or your church can develop its own customized giving plan by sending a letter to the BGAV Treasurer stating your desired allocations.
Benefits for Cooperating Churches of the BGAV
Benefits available to cooperating churches of the BGAV churches, depending upon their level of financial contribution to the Virginia portion of the Cooperative Missions Budget, include:
- Messengers to the Annual Meeting of the BGAV.
- Tax exempt status by being named on the BGAV’s group exemption roster for IRS as exempt from Federal income tax under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Annuity benefits for church staff.
- BGAV publications, resources and services